GEF 50th Council Meeting
Summary report of GEF-CSO Network Activity and Achievement during 50th GEF Council Meeting, 4-9 June 2016
The 50th GEF Council Meeting was held in Washington DC from 4 – 9 June 2016. The Council approved a new financial initiative and an associated trust fund to help developing countries monitor and report progress in a transparent manner under the Paris Climate Agreement. In terms of funding, the Council approved an additional $40 million for the Global Wildlife Program (GWP) expanding its support in the fight against illegal trafficking to 19 countries in Africa and Asia as well as another $360 million in other projects.
Photo by IISD/ENB | Francis Dejon
GEF-CSO Network organized a range of meetings in Washington DC in association with the 50th GEF Council as follows:
5 June - Meeting of GEF-CSO Network Coordination Committee (CC)
The CC meeting was attended by 12 currently elected Regional focal points. The meeting discussed a range of matters including how to strengthen the operation of the Network, the status and development of network membership and preparation for GEF-CSO consultation and the GEF Council meetings. Among the important results were:
- Developed an action plan in response to the IEO’s recommendations in the Network’s review.
- Streamlined the work of the various Network Sub-Committees to facilitate work between CC meetings.
- Confirmed the selection process for the new Secretariat.
6 June - Preparatory meeting for the GEF Council-CSO consultation
This meeting was attended by 34 representatives from CSOs and the meeting discussed and reviewed some of the key issues on the agenda of the 50th GEF Council meeting and prepared statements for delivery at the council, namely,
1. GEF Corporate Scorecard & Results-Based Management Action Plan: Update On Progress and Planned Work
2. Work Program
3. Establishment of a New Trust Fund for the Capacity-building Initiative for Transparency
4. GEF Business Plan and Corporate Budget for FY17
5. Progress Report on Knowledge Management
6. Progress Report on the Gender Equality Action Plan
7. Evaluation of the GEF CSO Network
8. Sixth Comprehensive Evaluation of the GEF (OPS6) Approach Paper
The meeting also discussed the preparation for the GEF Council-CSO consultation on 6 June.
6 June - GEF Council-CSO Consultation
This meeting was attended by more than 100 representatives from civil society, GEF Council members GEF Agencies and the GEF Secretariat. The meeting included a one hour dialogue between civil society and the GEF CEO and two panel sessions. In the morning, the panel session discussed the current and future operation of GEF CSO Network as well as the visions for effective operation and engagement in GEF processes. There were also 4 case study presentations on CSO experience and achievements. In the afternoon there was an interactive dialogue on the future strategic role of GEF including its role in Conventions implementation. The meeting was very interactive with active inputs from Council members, GEF agencies as well as CSOs. A report of the meeting, together with the presentations is available. [click here].
6 June - WG for Review of GEF Public Involvement Policy
The GEF Working Group on Public Involvement met for the third time to review the Consultant’s report on the review of GEF Agencies’ policies, procedures and guidelines on stakeholder involvement and also to discuss the proposal on Government-CSO dialogue platform. There are 4 CSO representatives in the WG comprise of 3 GEF-CSO network representatives and 1 IPs representative (IPAG). The report by the consultant highlighted a lot of issues related to agency compliance with the policy including the fact that only a third of the agencies have a mandatory requirement for a stakeholder engagement plan to be developed for all projects. The network urged the Working Group to make specific recommendations for consideration at the October Council - even if the work of the Working Group is extended till mid-2017 to enable better consideration of barriers to implementation at the country level.
7 – 9 June – 50th GEF Council Meeting
Around 30 CSO representatives observed the GEF Council sessions by rotation and nine formal network position papers/statements were presented to the council on the agenda items as follows (the statements can be viewed by clicking below):
1. Agenda Item 5 : GEF Corporate Scorecard & Results-Based Management Action Plan: Update on Progress and Planned Work
2. Agenda Item 6 : Monitoring Agency Compliance with GEF Policies on Environmental and Social Safeguards, Gender, and Fiduciary Standards
3. Agenda Item 7 : Establishment of a New Trust Fund for the Capacity-building Initiative for Transparency
4. Agenda Item 12 : Sixth Comprehensive Evaluation of the GEF (OPS6) Approach Paper
5. Agenda Item 13 : Evaluation of the GEF CSO Network
6. Agenda Item 15 : Relation with Conventions and other International Institutions
7. Agenda Item 16 : GEF Business Plan and Corporate Budget for FY17
8. Agenda Item 17 : Work Program
9. Progress report on the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF) and the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF)
See the joint summary of the Council’s Discussions .
The next GEF Council will be held as follows:
- CSO Preparatory Meeting, 23 Oct 2016
- GEF-CSO Consultation Meeting, 24 Oct 2016
- GEF Council Meeting, 25-27 Oct 2016