GEF 51st Council Meeting
Summary report of GEF-CSO Network Activity and Achievement during 51st GEF Council Meeting, 22-27 Oct 2016
The 51st GEF Council Meeting was held in Washington DC from 25 – 27 Oct 2016. The Council approved its Work Program comprising 16 project concepts and three programmatic frameworks, with total resources amounting to US$301.91 million. The programmatic frameworks include Global Opportunities for Long-term Development (GOLD) of the Artisanal and Small Scale Gold Mining (ASGM) Sector to help artisanal and small scale miners access resources for technologies and technical assistance that will help eliminate or reduce the use of mercury in gold processing; and China’s Protected Area System Reform (C-PAR).
Photos by IISD/ENB | Francis Dejon
GEF-CSO Network organized a range of meetings in Washington DC in association with the 51st GEF Council as follows:
23 Oct - Meeting of GEF-CSO Network Coordination Committee (CC)
The CC meeting was attended by 12 currently elected Regional Focal Points and 2 Indigenous Peoples Focal Point. The meeting discussed a range of matters including how to strengthen the operation of the Network, the status and development of network membership and preparation for GEF-CSO consultation and the GEF Council meetings. Among the important results were:
- Refined the Network’s Annual Work Plan
- Developed a membership strategy and a more comprehensive complaint procedure in response to the IEO’s recommendations in the Network’s review.
- Streamlined the work of the various Network Sub-Committees to facilitate work between CC meetings.
23 Oct - Preparatory meeting for the GEF Council-CSO consultation
This meeting was attended by 37 representatives from CSOs and the meeting discussed and reviewed some of the key issues on the agenda of the 51st GEF Council meeting and prepared statements for delivery at the council, namely on,
- Annual Portfolio Monitoring and Results Report
- Work Program
- Seventh Replenishment of the GEF Trust Fund
- Monitoring Agency Compliance with GEF Policies on Environmental and Social Safeguards, Gender and Fiduciary Standards : Implementation Modalities
- Recommendations from the Working group on Public Involvement
- Semi-Annual Evaluation Report October 2016
The meeting also discussed the preparation for the GEF Council-CSO consultation on 24 Oct.
24 Oct - GEF Council-CSO Consultation
This meeting was attended by more than 120 representatives from civil society, GEF Council members GEF Agencies and the GEF Secretariat. The meeting included a one hour dialogue between civil society and the GEF CEO and panel sessions to discuss the GEF Public Involvement Policy, GEF-CSO Network and the visions for GEF 7. In the morning, discussion was focused on the output and recommendations from the Working Group on GEF Public Involvement Policy and feedback and input from the relevant stakeholders were gathered for updating of the policy, including the consultative process. In the afternoon, group discussions were held to discuss how the role of CSOs in GEF can be enhance through GEF-CSO network. In the last session, the workshop discussed the status/progress of the various GEF focal areas and provided visions for enhancement of the focal areas in GEF 7. The meeting was very interactive with active inputs from Council members, GEF agencies as well as CSOs. [click here for details].
25 – 27 Oct – 51st GEF Council Meeting
Around 30 CSO representatives observed the GEF Council sessions by rotation and nine formal network position papers/statements were presented to the council on the agenda items as follows (click on the statements to view it) :
1. Agenda 4 -Annual Portfolio Monitoring and Results Report
2. Agenda 7 -Work Program
3. Agenda 8 -Seventh Replenishment of the GEF Trust Fund
4. Agenda 10 -Semi-Annual Evaluation Report October 2016
5. Agenda 12 -Monitoring Agency Compliance with GEF Policies on Environmental and Social Safeguards, Gender and Fiduciary Standards : Implementation Modalities
6. Agenda 13 - Recommendations from the Working group on Public Involvement
7. Progress report on the Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF) and the Special Climate Change Fund (SCCF)
To view the joint summary of the Council’s discussions [click here].
The next GEF Council will be held as follows:
- CSO Preparatory Meeting, 22 May 2017
- GEF-CSO Consultation Meeting, 23 May 2017
- GEF Council Meeting, 24-26 May 2017